When Mary Carter Anderson (Gardner) helped establish the Collegiate School for Girls in 1915 it was but another piece of a long and distinguished career in education.
Here, in an editorial published in the Richmond News-Leader the day after her death, editor and author Douglas Southall Freeman pays tribute to the impact and legacy of Mary Carter Anderson Gardner.
In the years following her death on July 25, 1948, the Collegiate Alumnae Association formed the Gardner Memorial Fund to raise money for a fitting tribute to their beloved mentor. (Freeman’s editorial is highlighted in fundraising materials and preserved in the Memorial Fund’s scrapbook.) The result, a portrait painted by Richmonder Edmund Archer, was unveiled at the Town School on October 20, 1951 and was presented by the alumnae of the Richmond Female Institute, the Women’s College of Richmond, Westhampton College, in addition to the alumnae of the Collegiate School and the borader Richmond community.